Majid Said Nasser Al Suleimany
Who is Majid?
This is Me! – July 4th 2009.
By nature and character I am a person who is a ‘Live and Let Live’ type of person, flexible and moderate in my views and outlooks, and I always aim to be fair, ethical, professional, principled, pragmatic and equitable as much as I possibly can. These are the forces driving me always – from before and even tomorrow!
Though sometimes I outdo myself admittedly and can be unpredictable and indefinable. Or as those who do not like or stand me say as outdoing myself. But I never let that bother me – because I know myself better than anybody else. Treat me nice fair and square, and I will bring the moon down to you. But treat me crudely, abruptly, rudely and with lack of fairness, principles, ethics, professionalism, outlooks and principles – then I come charging down - after giving more than 3 or 4 chances to you to conform and behave.
In that way I am very hate able and ugly – and agree with you fully! And why should I change at this stage – though great Madam always preaches to me to change now and make reconciliations and friendships with my adversaries before they bury me down 6 feet under!
Majid The Person.
(1) The Person.
- My Mother eldest son and brother to 5 other brothers and 6 sisters – a full football team.
- Other elder Mother (pbuh) and elder brother (pbuh) and sister (pbuh) and another sister.
(2) Characteristics and Personality
- Polite, friendly and an outgoing extrovert nature.
- Highly open, adaptable and flexible to any given situation.
- An achiever and a with a win-win drive and ambition.
- A sense of wit and humour!
- An aptitude for creativity and innovation.
- Have a continuous desire and drive to keep learning and to improvise
B – Hobbies and Interests:-
Reading, * Writing, Correspondence, Films, T.V., Internet, Information Technology (IT), Travelling, Associating and Meeting peoples from different walks of life etc.
* Have written many articles in Company Magazine and Newspaper, including Local Oman English Dailies. Currently I am a Freelance Journalist (Columnist) with The Oman Daily Observer Feature Articles “Between Us Only” appearing Weekly on Wednesdays.
C – Jobs and Responsibilities.
- 25 years relevant experiences and exposures in a wide area in Human Resources and General Administration in a large multi-national oil company (PDO) with 5000 plus Staff and 850,000 bpd.
- Ability to deal with multi-ethnic multi-national staff.
- Friendly, efficient and pro-active customer / client relations.
- Working equally well in on own initiative or in a group.
- With the MBA qualification in International Business Management, possessing the latest modern technology, innovations, ideas, ingenuity in Management.
- Remained always as a SBU Focal point in Omanisation Team in Petroleum Development Oman – PDO.
.* Capability to identify proactively problems and with equitably practical solutions.
* Evolving and organising a system.
* Very good in writing Proposals, Suggestions and Procedures.
*Several projects done have received awards, e.g. Shell International Awards
(please see attachments)
* Willing to accept criticisms and for corrective cum remedial actions.
* Continuous learning and exposures to latest technologies and innovations
related to job aspects and related.
* Flexible and open receptive approach especially to subordinates and also peers, expect the same for those in ‘bosses positions’.
* Keen to ensure successful completion of assigned jobs, tasks and targets.
* Competent and capable to handle high work pressures and within limited time frames and deadlines.
* Respect and adhere to Human Resources as ‘The Best Asset’ of any establishment and in outlook.
* Quality Management focus and outlook.
* Created a complete new HR Section after a major Restructuring exercise.
* Created consultancy firm in Management and Marketing (Management and Marketing Development Consultancy – MMDC).
Job Aspects – Continued.
In May 1977 was nominated by the Company (PDO) in a Steering Committee setting up a section dealing solely with the Company Policies and Procedures – in special reference to PDO local environment and with Omanis. Prior to that the Shell International Policies and Procedures was only used for both local Regional and International Staff.
The current Policy and Procedures being used and being updated came out from this Steering Committee in which Majid was the active member participating in this Role.
In his jobs as Full Time Staff and Consultant, Majid initiated and developed similar many such Policy and Procedures Manuals for many Companies in Oman and the UAE (ADNOC Group) and in Oman many companies like Sohar Refinery, Smith Services International Group of Companies in Oman, New Start Up Companies in Oman and others as in his CV.
25 years wide and deep experiences and exposures in PDO and the last role for 6 years in PDO as the Senior Resourcing and Development Advisor. Please put yours similar but put for In addition as the HR Specialist for Sohar Refinery and the HR and Administration Manager for Smith Services International Group of Companies in Oman and similarly 6 years as Management and HR Consultant as in Item No. 1
Majid was fully in charge of the Company (PDO) Training and Development Section which at any one annual year had over 600 Candidates overseas doing Diplomas, University and Post Graduate studies in United Kingdom and USA. He was directly responsible and in control of an Annual Revolving Budget of US Dollars 12 Million, and was fully responsible in nominating and in approving of Candidates for Further Studies.
He was also responsible for Local Training and Development Courses, Specialist Courses and Ad Hoc Tailor Made courses for PDO.
He was involved in setting up in the HR Project for the TNA for Majan Electricity Company (MJEC) plus other aspects involved in Management Advisory
He was the Senior Resourcing and Development Advisor for PDO, HR Specialist for Sohar Refinery and see also – Smith Services International Group of Companies in Oman,
Job Aspects – Continued.
An Omani National (GCC), British educated and trained to Post Graduate levels and with over 25 (Twenty Five) years experiences and exposures in Senior positions in all aspects of Human Resources in the largest Oman Oil Company Petroleum Development Oman – PDO – (Exploration and Production) – with 700,000 bpd and over 5000 Staff. Directly responsible for over 900 Staff, both at National and at International levels, and with direct budget control of US Dollars 12 million p.a.
Have also over 7 (Seven) years experiences and exposures in Human Resources and in Management Consultancy and being directly responsible for various New Start Ups Projects (both for Local and International Companies in Oman) in The Oil and Gas, Services, Manufacturing, Consultancy, Power Generation, Utility and other sectors. I have also been directly involved and responsible for various Studies, Projects and Research works – including some that had won International Awards (Shell International Petroleum Company).
Have also been widely exposed to young Omani Graduates Intake Programme, their mentoring, coaching, guiding and counseling and for National Staff in general. Feel can also effectively contribute in all these spheres and aspects also.
Fluent in English and with an Executive MBA Programme in International Management with the University of Lincolnshire and Humberside – United Kingdom (UK) – confident that coming up with the latest Management innovation, concepts, science, ingenuity and technology in the Human Resources and in Business Management as a whole.
.A highly qualified seasoned Human Resources Professional with over 25 years of wide and direct experiences and exposures in Senior Positions in an Oil Company in Oman in all the functions of Human Resources; Training & Development (T & D); Omanisation (Localisation), General Management and in General Administration. In addition of 6 years experiences and exposures as an Independent Human Resources and Management Consultant, HR Advisor, HR Specialist, HR Expert and in Research, Studies and Projects.
Brief Summary of Expertise: -
v Developing / Reviewing HR Policies and Procedures Manuals.
v Developing and Structuring and Writing Job Descriptions / Job Classification
v Developing Organisation Structures and Re-structuring.
v Job Description and Evaluation using HAY methodology and preparing Grading Structure
v Training and Development
v Designing and Developing HR Processes, Forms and Documents.
v Talents, Skills and Competencies Management and Developing Omanisation programmes
v Various Studies, Research and Projects – including some that had won International Awards.
v Dealing with Multi-National, Multi-Ethnic Staff and The Group Company Global Different Countries of The World (From The Gulf, Europe, Africa, and Far East, USA, Australia etc (The Shell Group and Other Groups).
v Omani Graduates Intake Programmes and Development.
v Mentoring, Coaching, Guiding and Mentoring.
v Designing and Developing Omanisation Plans.
v Recruitment – Selection and ESS (Executive Search & Selection)
v Advising on Management and Human Resources Issues and Aspects.
v British educated and trained – fluent in English.
v The latest technologies, sciences, innovation, concepts and ingenuities in Management and Human Resources.
Majid Said Nasser Al Suleimany
v Contributed very successfully and significantly in Human Resources and in Management aspects of many New Start up Projects, including various that were National Prestigious Blue Chips Projects. Including Corporate Business Strategies (HR) and Business Plans.
v Recognised as one of the few Omani National Human Resources Professional and Expert (Consultant) in Oman.
v Responsible for handling such HR projects in excess of US Dollars 300,000 (Three Hundred Thousand).
v Authorised Company Finance Signatory – Petroleum Development Oman (PDO) – (Second Level to US Dollars 500,000) for Payments to Companies and US Dollars 50,000 for PDO Staff Payments.
v Direct controller and responsible of a Training and Development Budget of US Dollars 12 million in last position in Training and Development in PDO.
v Member of PDO Omanisation Steering Committee.
v Member of PDO Security and Safety Committee.
v Member of PDO Recruitment Committee (in conjunction with Shareholders).
v Guide, Mentor, Counselor and Coach for Omani Graduates Development Intake Programme.
v Projects personally handled have won International Recognition (Shell International) and Best Project Award Shell Worldwide.
v Awarded Best Business Project Award Intilaqaah and Shell Oman.
v Recognised Free Lance Weekly Columnist in The Oman English Daily (Oman Observer) on many topics including Management and Human Resources
v Author of a Book titled Between Us Only (carrying many Management, Human Resources, and including some Socio-Economic subjects).
v Second book under finalization on Arab Management Psychology.
Summary of Main Expertise, Competencies, Talents and Skills.
v Human Resources and Management Consultant talents and skills.
v Developing / Reviewing Human Resources Policies and Procedures.
v Developing, Structuring and Writing Job Descriptions.
v Developing Organisation structures and re-structuring.
v Job Description and Evaluation using HAY methodology and preparing Grading Structure.
v Training and Development, Career and Succession Planning.
v Developing Omanisation (Localisation) programmes.
v Dealing with Multi-National, Multi-Ethnic Staff and The Group Company Global Different Countries of The World (From The Gulf, Europe, Africa, Far East, USA and Australia etc (The Shell Group and Other Groups).
v Directly responsible for 650 Junior Staff. And 250 Senior and International Staff.
v Various Studies, Research and Projects undertaken – including some that had won International Awards (Shell International).
v Omani Graduates Programmes Intake, and Mentoring, Coaching, Counseling and Guiding
v Writing Company HR Manuals in Policies and Procedures, including related.
v Setting up HR completely new Unit and Guidelines – linked with Business and Corporate Plans.
v Professional Recruitment including ESS – Expert Search & Selection.
v Setting up KPI and Performance Appraisal and Reward System.
v Developing and in maintaining CEP (potential) exercises.
v Conducting Staff Surveys (Climate) and Salary Reviews.
v Presentations to Senior Management and Board Members, including highly profile sensitive aspects.
v Omanisation Plans strategies formulation.
v Job Grading and Evaluation, including Grading Structure.
v Long Service Emblems & Award Management.
v Staff Grievances and Procedures Handling.
v Dealing with Public Sector, Corporate, Private and Public Companies and NGOs.
v Able to lead & motivate department team members and influence Senior Management in HR, HRM, T & D and HRD related matters to move the business forward.
v Dealing with multi-national and multi-cultural Staff.
v Human Resources Management System (HRMS) Custodian.
v Focal Point Performance Appraisal System for HR Unit (PDO).
v Ability to look after all the administration aspects of any organization
v Possessing the latest technologies, sciences, innovation, concepts and ingenuities in Management and Human Resources.
v Respect and adhere to the maxim of Human Resources as ‘The Best Asset’ of any establishment and in outlook.
v Created a complete new HR Section in PDO after a major Restructuring exercise.
v British educated and trained.
v Friendly, efficient and pro-active customer / client relations.
v Working equally well in on own initiative or in a group.
v Highly open, adaptable and flexible to any given situation.
v An achiever and with a win-win drive and ambition.
v Capability to identify proactively problems and with equitably practical solutions.
v An aptitude for creativity and also have a continuous desire and drive to keep learning and to improvise.
v Evolving and organising a system.
v Very good in writing Proposals, Suggestions and Procedures.
v Willing to accept criticisms and for corrective cum remedial actions.
v Continuous learning and exposures to latest technologies and innovations related to job aspects and related.
v Keen to ensure successful completion of assigned jobs, deadlines, tasks and targets.
v Quality Management focus and outlook.
Areas That Perhaps Needs Some Development.
v Sometimes impatient not to see the end results of Human Resources Proposals and Projects that have been made, but with delayed or no results yet.
v Being transparent, frank, genuine, open and honest in overall dealings. Expect the same from peers and bosses.
v Hatred of unnecessary and delaying red tape and bureaucracy.
v High expectation of transparency, accountabilities, ethics and professionalism in dealings, especially in Staff Affairs.
Self Analysis – Majid
(A) – Strong Points (10).
(1) Kind, compassionate, considerate and feeling – esp. to the poor and deprived.
(2) A Very Good Man, father, provider and husband (no hanky panky stuff).
(3) Treats family as CENTRE of his Universe.
(4) Ask him for help, he will bring the moon to you! Very helpful.
(5) Respect and adheres parents and the old, aged and sick.
(6) Treats money as ‘to be used’ and to help, not materialistic.
(7) Clean heart and conscience.
(8) Can be talked to, and will listen when faced with the truth. Accepts mistakes and can apologise without difficulty (unalike?).
(9) Pragmatic, proactive and can be very frank, forthright open and flexible too (sometimes can be very hurtful in that process).
(10) Overall a good decent person, what or who else??
(B) – Weak Points (10).
(1) Handles rejection and being not accepted very badly and damaging too.
(2) Speaks his mind without considering repercussions and consequences, and can be damaging and hurtful too (see A 9 above).
(3) Can be very revengeful, vindictive and esp. when dealt badly with or given rough or raw deal.
(4) Can try to help others too much, and damage himself and his own, esp. job-wise.
(5) Have split personality (as a Gemini) and can be very cruel and vicious too – especially if provoked or in rejection syndrommes (the story of our life, esp. in ….!).
(6) When he goes very quiet and silent, watch him! – that is when he is most dangerous, esp. when ‘he pretends to go along or understand, and esp. when he realises dealing with BRICK WALLS and those who cannot hear, see etc.
(7) Can be dismissive of issues he does not want to see or hear about!
(8) Avoids confrontation as best as can, but if provoked has a foul and very bad TEMPER and tantrums.
(9) May get involved or bogged down in issues best left alone and none of his concern (crusader?).
(10) Puts his expressions and feelings in writing (his strong points) without realising it can be misrepresented or be twisted, and especially when some do not understand or comprehend the language and style it is written in.
Areas to improve.
(1) Needs to understand there are two sides to a coin, appreciate the shoe wearer knows where it pinches!
(2) Tone down impulsive and compulsive behaviour, esp. when provoked or in rejection.
(3) Act the good sincere and genuine person he says is by action and deeds, not empty words and catchy frames. Says he cares, but results are he is hurting and damaging, to self and those near to him.
(4) Control temper and anger, and watch words said in such scenario (easy to destroy all built easily by one unkind cruel word).
(5) Be one Majid only – no split personalities!!
By the Man himself – Majid Said Nasser Al Suleimany
The man and his experiences:-
• 25 years experiences and exposures in Human Resources Management (HRM), Human Resources Development (HRD), General Admin and Support Services in PDO.
• Voluntary enhanced early retirement in June 1998.
• Higher National Diploma (HND – UK) in Personnel Management.
• Diploma course attended of RSA (UK) in Business Planning and Ownership (Intilaaqah / Shell International Programme).
• On final stages of completion of the MBA Executive Programme in International Management at University of Lincolnshire & Humberside, U.K. (Last exam done in June, 2001, dissertation by November 2001).
• Own Management and Marketing Development Consultancy (MMDC).
• Proactive, keen, pragmatic, dynamic, committed, dedicated, loyal and faithful.
• Looking for Senior Management position.
What he can offer:-
• As across gained wide and in-depth skills, experiences and exposures.
• Conduct Staff Morale Satisfaction Survey – anonymous.
• Assist in Customer Satisfaction Survey with Marketing / Customer Services Department.
• Men for Jobs, Jobs for Men and gap identify and recommendations.
• Coaching, Counseling, Monitoring and Mentoring of Staff Development, especially in ‘high fliers caliber and managerial potential staff.
• Strategic Mgt., Project Mgt., Creative Problem Solving studies to give the company competitive edge against competition.
• Good HR and other Management practices and procedures.
• Any others as decided by the Management from time to time.
• Can start off at short notice.
• Willing to learn and improvise.